Monday, July 27

Israeli forces injure 14 after funeral of Palestinian teen

RAMALLAH (Ma'an) -- Israeli forces on Monday injured 14 Palestinians, including six with live rounds, in clashes that broke out following the funeral of a Palestinian teen who was killed by Israeli forces in Qalandiya refugee camp on Monday morning.
Muhammad Abu Latifa, 18, was shot dead by Israeli forces in an early morning raid into Qalandiya refugee camp.
Thousands of Palestinians participated in his funeral procession, which started at Ramallah's Palestine Medical Complex and made its way towards Qalandiya refugee camp's mosque where thousands prayed before Abu Latifa was buried at Qalandiya’s cemetery.
Participants raised Palestinian flags and chanted national songs, while calling for revenge.
Clashes soon broke out, with Palestinian youths throwing stones and empty bottles at Israeli forces, who responded with stun grenades and live and rubber-coated steel bullets.
Sources reported that at least 14 Palestinians were injured.
There were conflicting reports on Monday morning of Abu Latifa's death.
Israeli police initially said that he attempted to run away during an arrest raid and fell to his death after he was shot in his lower extremities.
They claimed that an Israeli paramedic attempted to treat Abu Latifa, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.
However, the teenager's father, Ata Abu Latifa, said Israeli forces killed his son in "cold blood" on the roof of the family's home and left him to bleed to death after attempting to arrest him several times and failing to do so.
The head of the local popular resistance committees in the camp, Jamal Abu Latifa, who is also Muhammad’s uncle, said that Muhammad was shot several times while trying to escape from the rooftop, and that he was still alive when he was in fact detained.
Other witnesses also said that Israeli forces took the teenager into custody despite his critical injuries and shortly after delivered his body to a Palestinian ambulance, which took him to the Palestine Medical Complex.
Jamal Abu Latifa added that the teenager was not wanted by the Israeli authorities, contrary to Israeli police statements.
Muhammed is the 18th Palestinian killed by Israeli forces this year and the fourth this month.
Earlier this month, another teenage resident of Qalandiya refugee camp, Muhammad Hani al-Kasbah,17, was shot dead by an Israeli commander after throwing a stone at an Israeli military vehicle.
The Israeli commander claimed his life was in danger, although video footage later confirmed witness reports that Kasbah was running away from the soldier when he was shot dead.

Please help us in our time of need!

0 Have Your Say!:

Post a Comment